Thursday, May 7, 2009

One Year Ago Today - Kylie's Birth Story

One year ago today at 4pm I reported to West Allis Memorial to start the process of bringing Kylie into the world. I had to be induced, because my heart rate had been gradually increasing, and the doctor decided that it was time to induce. It was Wednesday, and Mom flew in that morning to help me with my little adventure. We went out to eat for lunch, I remember how good that food tasted. Anyway, Steve got off work early, and we all went to the hospital to have them give me the pill that softens your cervix. Everything was looking good that night, I slept well, but was a little nervous once I woke up.

At about 7 o'clock that morning they started the Petocin, and my contractions began. I practiced my breathing, and the time seemed to pass slowly. I watched the clock as I watched the monitors and breathed, and endured the checks to see if I was progressing. I wasn't, and about 10 o'clock they increased the Petocin. I kept breathing, changing positions, sat on my birthing ball, trying to get through the contractions. After another check around 2pm they increased the Petocin again, to try and get the labor to progress. Kylie's heart rate was being monitored, and after laboring for most of the day the nurses were starting to get worried. My contractions were strong, but I just wasn't making any progress. About 4 o'clock I was only dialated to 3.5. I was so disappointed, all of that work, for what felt like nothing. At around 5:30 my doctor came in and gave me the bad news. Kylie was showing signs of stress, and I clearly wasn't making any progress. It was time to do a c-section. Once the decision was made, it was a frantic time. More nurses came into the room, they gave Steve clothes to change into. We asked for a moment of privacy in all of the commotion, so that we could say a prayer. It was the one time I let myself cry. I felt of sense of peace about the situation after the prayer, and then the nurses came in to wheel me into the operating room. I was still having tons of contractions on the way to the OR, which was bittersweet. When I first got into the operating room, a spinal block needed to be placed. I was told to hold the hands of this resident doctor, I felt really bad for him. His hands were all sweaty, and he was really nervous. I asked to hold Steve's hands instead (I had some nerve, I blame it on being in labor all day). They wouldn't let me, so I wasn't happy about that, but once the block was placed the pain went away. I was surprised at how quickly the c-section went, it only felt like a few minutes passed by. Steve stayed at my head the whole time, and said the sweetest most encouraging words. He probably doesn't remember what he said, but I do, and I hope I never forget those words. All of the sudden (at 5:53pm) I heard Kylie cry, and Steve told me to look to my right, and there she was, laying on the little table, being cleaned up and examined. I remember that she looked just like what I thought she would. It was hard not being able to hold her immediately, but Steve got to, so that was just as good. She weighted 7 pounds, 12 ounces. She was pretty puffy from me being on fluids for so long.

Once I was in recovery I got to hold her and look at her, and feel her soft little face, and fingers and toes. One of the most tender moments of my life. I was grateful that they let Steve be in recovery with me too, it was so nice to have him there with me through everything.

We are so incredibly grateful for our gift of Kylie. She continues to keep me smiling, and bring joy to our days. We love you Kylie!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Kylie!! What a sweet, sweet story...brought tears to my eyes!! Here's to many many more years...and many more babies!! :)

Linda said...

What a great story! Happy birthday Kylie!

Jessica said...

Love Kylies story. Made me get teary. My mom would always wake us up on our birthday and tell us our birth story. How special.